Monday, December 27, 2010

2008 - Halloween by e-mail -nostalgia trip (in English)

In the middle of a nostalgia trip. E-mail sent to my kids, in 2008

Halloween. I got an enormous bag of 'the good ones' - remember what you used to do? We all got dressed up, got together with the neighbors, with Sarah and her four kids, the Indian people from the apt. above Sarah's, Kahleen, and some assorted kids also from the building.
Mostly freezing, even raining, we went down thru Sarah's approved path, that included Kimbark, and even Harper (the whole block. I should have gone today to look at it).

When we got home you would dump all the candy on the dining room floor, and start separating 'the Bad ones' (corn candy, lollipops) from the Good ones (Reeses Pieces, Snickers, and I don't remember the rest). Then you would start checking each other’s pile, and start trading. You wouldn't eat before trading. Don't know what you traded, but you did. And then ate 4 or 5 each, and that was that.

I just called for Thai take-out, and when the guy rang the bell, very distracted, I got a pile of candy and tried to shove it in his bags (the ones he was delivering, I mean).
I wish I could have one more Halloween night with the 2 of you, and our old neighbors.
elisa
------
Reply |from Flora Diaz to me, Gaston show details 7:52 PM (3 hours ago)

This email made me cry!
Yeah, I totally remember!
One year Dave Wilson went as a mummy (Sarah wrapped him from head to toe in toilet paper).
Who is Kahleen?
I think it was usually our family, the Wilson's, Taznim and Anand (the Indian neighbors you mentioned whose parents' names I never knew!) and sometime Khary and Chris Friel?
And Harper was always the best street. They really got into it on that street for some reason.
And you're right, we hated the candy corn (I still do).
I think our favorite candy, Gaston correct me if I'm wrong, was actually that pink gum that was rock hard at first.
I liked the nestle Crunch bars, but Gaston didn't.
The truth is, I never really liked the candy all that much.
The fun was in acquiring it, and then trading it.
As soon as that part was over, the candy lost pretty much all of its value to me.
That's funny about the take-out guy. I wonder if restaurant delivery guys love or hate working on Halloween? I bet a lot of them get candy instead of actual tips. I also bet they hate that.
: )
Love you!
Beso grande,
flora
-------
Reply |from Gaston Diaz to Flora, me - show details 8:37 PM (2 hours ago)

You lie! You loved candy. You ate it all the time. Remember we kept all the candy in a basket on the dryer in the pantry and you would always eat it? I didn't really like candy that much, except chocolate, but with no nuts.
------
Reply |Flora Diaz to Gaston, me - show details 8:44 PM (2 hours ago)

I did not love candy!
I was a sweet tooth, admittedly, but I liked Pepperidge farm cookies and black forest cake and those Rondos bite size ice cream things in the freezer, candy was never my thing.
Most of the basket-on-the-dryer candy would sit there and get stale until the next year, or until Mom threw it out. Maybe the cockroaches ate it. I don't know, but it wasn't me.
And you did like some candy, you liked sweettarts and those jelly fruit-things.
That, and french fries. Nothing else.

------
from Flora Diaz Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 9:02 PM
To: Gaston
Cc: Elisa Steinberg
Incidentally, that does not explain why I had so many more cavities than you.

You loved Coca Cola and drank it more than me, that is the worst thing for teeth cause it's acidic and the sugar sticks and stays there, so you should have had more cavities!


But you didn't have ANY.

EVER.

So it must've been genetic.


: )
[Quoted text hidden]

No comments:

Post a Comment